Friday, July 18, 2008

Little White Lies


My previous post about The Foggy Monocle got me thinking about the art of embellishing stories. How much creative license should the modern gentlemen use when regaling his entourage with a good yarn? I've always subscribed that if something didn't happen but should have, then it's fair game. Some stories I've been telling for so long that I've forgotten if they're entirely true or not. It doesn't bother me if they're not wholly factual because they are such a part of me now that they may as well be fact. However, exaggeration should not be confused with fabrication. Exaggeration makes your stories livelier while fabrication is transparent and problematic. Just ask James Frey. So, I would encourage you, if you're an embellisher, not to be hoisted by your own petard and stick to your story. In general, people don't really like honesty as much as they claim. Honesty is the weapon of choice for wet blankets.

No comments: